Martin A. Clayman
Martin A. Clayman has more than 50 years of experience in commercial litigation and business transactions. He devotes a significant part of his practice to serving real estate developers, entrepreneurs, and a variety of business entities and not-for-profit organizations. Much his legal counsel and representation has focused on complex financial and business transactions.
Marty also has extensive experience in franchise and distribution law. He represents local, regional, and national franchisors and franchisees by evaluating and analyzing franchise opportunities, drafting franchise documents, ensuring compliance with state and federal law, and providing franchise litigation services.
He was selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Franchise Law in 2007, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2016 and was selected by his peers as a Greater Hartford Top Lawyer as published in Hartford Magazine in 2006. He was also selected by his peers to be included in the 2008, 2011, 2012, and 2013 publication of New England Super Lawyers in the areas of business and corporate law. In 2013 and 2014, he was selected to the list of Top Attorney in Connecticut by the American Registry. He was also selected as a top Franchise Lawyer in the 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2017 Best Lawyers New England Edition and Best Lawyers Connecticut Edition.
Areas Of Practice
- Real Estate & Land Use
- Business Transactions
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Federal Courts
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, Connecticut
- Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Connecticut Bar Association, Franchise Law Section, Founder
- Connecticut Bar Association, Executive Committee, Former Chairman
- American Arbitration Association, Arbitration Panels
- American Dispute Resolution Center, Arbitration Panels
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Forum Committee on Franchising